When my kids ask me what I do all day, I respond with, “We answer questions.” I give pretty much the same response to adults, because while it sounds simple, it captures the essence of my work. That’s why The Melior Group is in business.
So when it comes to our healthcare provider clients like hospitals and health systems, what kinds of questions is Melior answering, and how are they using the information?
If we build it, will they come?
Investment in facilities, programs and services is costly, and our healthcare clients need data about consumers to support their decisions. Hospital planning departments and their consultants provide the market information (how many people live in the area, insurance status, etc.); Melior’s work focuses on gathering insights into consumer attitudes and behavior. We ask questions of the market such as:
- Is there a need in your community for said initiatives?
- When making decisions for this type of program/service, what are your criteria for selection?
- If the program/service offers these menu items, how likely would you be to consider using it?
- What would make you more likely to use it?
With the answers given, Melior is able to guide clients to make “go/no go” decisions, and, if the decision is “go”, to develop a product that is responsive to consumers’ needs and preferences.
Is our consumer-directed marketing and outreach accomplishing what we want it to accomplish, and if not, what can we do to make it better?
We often work with clients when they are developing their consumer marketing strategy. They may need to evaluate their current brand status, as well as elicit input for future marketing campaigns. We ask questions of consumers such as:
- What is important to you when you are making decisions about healthcare?
- What are your impressions of the different providers in the market?
- How do you gather information about healthcare providers?
- What is your reaction to current advertising and other messaging from healthcare providers?
The answers help our clients to develop marketing communications which are believable, distinctive and have the potential to resonate with desired audience segments.
How can we better serve our surrounding community?
This is an important question for our nonprofit healthcare clients, which are usually mission-driven. They take their missions seriously, and want to hear, from the audiences they are committed to serving, how they are doing. As such, we ask questions of those audiences such as:
- Do you perceive this provider as the “go to” resource for your family’s health needs?
- Does this provider treat all patients with the compassion and respect that they deserve?
- Is this provider doing all that it can to improve the overall health of the community?
Though sometimes the findings can surprise, and even hurt, they can provide a starting point for improvement and rededication to meeting mission goals.
In addition to the questions we ask, our rigorous approach to figuring out who we need to reach in order to gather the information we need, and determining the best methodology for gathering information, is central to our work.
Our research can help healthcare providers explore all of these issues and more. Give us a call or shoot us an email and let us know how we can help.